How To Apply

You can apply to the Lambeth Redress Scheme by completing the form below. You can download the form or ask us to post you a paper copy.

You apply by completing the application form.

You can:

– fill in the paper form by hand

– complete the electronic form on your computer

You can get someone to help you fill in the form – for example, a friend, relative, support group or solicitor.

How to get the form

You can:

– download the form from this website

– Contact the Lambeth Redress Scheme team to ask for a copy

– Visit one of the council’s offices or libraries to ask for a copy

Contact the Lambeth Redress Scheme team:

Phone: 0333 880 6870


The Redress team can also answer any questions you have about the application process.

Getting help with your application


Completing the form on your computer

To access and fill in the application form on your computer you will need to use Adobe Reader:

– download Adobe Reader for free

– Windows users: right-click on the form link then select ‘Save target as’ or ‘Save link as’

– Mac users: right-click on the form link then select ‘Save linked file as’ or ‘Save link as’

– save the form (in your ‘documents’ folder, for example)

– open Adobe Reader and then select the saved form

– save the form with the information you enter


Where to send the completed form

There are two ways to send us your completed form:

Post a paper version of the completed form to:

Lambeth Redress Scheme

PO Box 747

Winchester SO23 5DP

Please write ‘Strictly Private and Confidential’ on the envelope.

Email your completed form to:

The deadline for applications is 5pm on 1 January 2022.

Lambeth Councils’ Cabinet extended the Redress Scheme to the new closing date of 1 January 2022 at a formal cabinet meeting on Wednesday the 18th of September 2019. 

View information about the proposals that the cabinet discussed.

We know that talking or writing about your experiences can be difficult. However, we need to know what happened to you so that we can:

– process your application

– make sure you get the right amount of compensation

You will need to give us your details, and as much information as you can remember. This includes:

– the name of the children’s home or homes that you lived in or visited

– when you stayed there or visited

– the names of any alleged abusers

– when the abuse happened

– the names of any people who saw what happened to you

There are guidance notes on the application form to help you.

If you apply for an Individual Redress Payment you may need to have a medical assessment. If you do, we will arrange this for you.

You will not need to be medically assessed to get a Harm’s Way Payment.

A psychiatric expert from a list of independent medical experts will assess you. They will then write up a medical report.

You can tell us if you need to be assessed by a specific type of expert – for example, a female doctor. We will do our best to arrange this for you.

If you do not want to be medically assessed

If we need medical evidence to process your application, and you do not want to be assessed, your claim may not be able to carry on.

We will consider requests not to have a medical assessment on a case-by-case basis.


We will pay your reasonable costs and expenses to attend the medical assessment.

We will also consider paying for any medical or psychiatric treatment that the expert recommends you have.

The medical report

The medical expert will send your medical report to you and the Redress Team at the same time. This should be within 12 weeks of your medical assessment.

If you disagree with what the expert says in the report, you can contact them to ask why they have written what they have.

You do not need to apply for your care records to apply for compensation through the Redress Scheme.

However, you can apply for your care records if you would like to see them.

To do this, you need to submit a ‘subject access request’ to Lambeth Council.

You can change your mind and stop your application at any time before you formally accept an offer of redress.

To cancel your application, you’ll need to write to the Redress team.

If you apply for both the Harm’s Way Payment and the Individual Redress Payment, you may get the Harm’s Way Payment first. If you then decide to cancel your claim for the Individual Redress Payment, you will not have to pay the Harm’s Way payment back to us.

If you make a further claim against us for the same abuse you claimed for under the scheme, we will then treat your Harm’s Way Payment as an ‘interim’ payment. This means we would deduct the payment from any compensation we pay to you.

We will assist with any query you might have

We know that application many be a daunting task. If you are not sure whether you want to apply you might find it helpful to have a chat with someone from our Navigator team.